- October 3, 2018
- Posted by: Rogers Property Group
- Category: Australian Property Market, Latest News, Property Investment
The RBA met yesterday and decided to keep the cash rate on hold at 1.5%.
For over 2 years now the cash rate has remained on hold and most analysts expect this to be the case for another 2 years. There is also some talk that the RBA may even cut interest rates.
Bullet points from meeting notes which all look positive:
- Global economy is still expanding above trend
- Global unemployment rates are low
- Global inflation still low although has increased slightly due to oil price and wage growth
- US dollar has appreciated
- Australia’s economy grew over the past year with an increase in GDP of 3.4%
- Business conditions across Australia are positive and non-mining sector is improving
- Household debt is still of concern as wages is not growing at the same rate
- Australian unemployment is the lowest in 6 years at 5.3% and that is expected to go to 5%
- The is strong competition from banks for high quality credit customers